Thursday, January 5, 2012

World Between Me News

Sleepwalking - When Sleep Turns Into Activity




For many years, since I was a little girl, I have been sleepwalking. I never knew why this happens and why was I the only one in my family who was doing it. It's not that I felt something, but when my mother was telling me the day later, that I have been doing certain things, and even saying certain words, I was really scared.



Since a year now, my walks during night finally disappeared. that is why I can now open myself and talk about what happens when you sleepwalk and most importantly what is sleepwalking.

As you know from the name, Sleepwalking as in walking while being asleep.
It is a sleep disorder, where a person (being fully asleep) suddenly gets out of bed and performs tasks.
It is very important to note, that the person is fully asleep during his sleepwalk.
The start of sleepwalking begins with getting out of bed. Some people walk around, touching furniture, they start to clean, and perform other tasks (in children it is very common that they try to do homework, dress up etc) and in some occasions, a sleepwalker tries to run, or "escape".
The activities are limitless. There were even some incidents when a person tried to cook, drive and even commit suicide.



The Causes of Sleepwalking

Cause one is GeneticsSleepwalking occurs more frequently in identical twins, and is 10 times more likely to occur if a first-degree relative has a history of sleepwalking. Therefore, it is thought the condition can be inherited.

Also, Stress is one of the main causes ( in a child, even a stress brought from school can be a cause).


Chaotic sleep schedules - the brain is one othe most important organ in a human body. With a chaotic sleep schedule, even the lack of it may cause a person to sleepwalk.


Fever - The body is not at its normal temperature, so it is trying to do all it can to bring back to normal. Therefore, shivering, lack of appetite, sweating and/or hallucinations/sleepwalking may occur.

Psychiatric disorders, for example,posttraumatic stress disorder, panic attack, or dissociative states, such as multiple personality disorder can lead to a sleepwalk.




I would say these would be the 5 main causes of such behavior. There is probably a dozen more, but I guess from what I've experienced, these would suit my fortunately gone sleep disorder. 


Sleepwalkers often have little or no memory of the incident, as they are not truly conscious. Although their eyes are open, their expression is dim and glazed over. Sleepwalking may last as little as 30 seconds or as long as 30 minutes.










I remember when my mother said, that I woke up one day and got dressed for school, and I was hitting the door just to get out. Of course, I had no clue what she said. As from what I know, my body was awake but my mind was asleep. So whatever I was dreaming about, my body received the message and started to do tasks. 

This is interesting:  In 2004, sleep medicine experts in  Australia claimed to have successfully treated a woman who claimed to have sex with strangers in her sleep.

I thank to this day nothing had ever happened to me.




1 comment:

David Kurniawan said...

BLOGGERspherepedia said: This is great informations, thanks for share youre article. http://bloggerspherepedia.blogspot.com